I’ve shared with you all that this is the year that we’re kicking chemicals to the curb and starting with our full home detox! Follow along with us in the below step-by-step home detox checklist, and pipe up to let us know if we’re missing anything important.
How to start your Home Detox NOW
1. Assess your pantry. This is the biggest step for most families. Pull out containers in your cabinet and read the ingredients. If you can’t pronounce something or don’t know offhand what it is, do a little research. If you’re horrified or confused by what you read, toss it and replace it with a more natural alternative.
2. Detox your drinks. Start incorporating lemon water or kombucha into your daily routine for a healthy home detox starting from the inside-out.
3. Clear the clutter from that back closet. You know which one I’m talking about. A home detox is about getting rid of what you don’t need to focus on what truly benefits you.
4. Sort through your bathroom and replace personal care products with more natural alternatives.
5. Set up a shoe rack and stop tracking toxins into your home every day.
6. Ditch detergent, bleach and chemical cleaners in favor of baking soda and vinegar for a true home detox.
7. Eliminate plastic wherever possible. And always, always make sure that any plastic you do buy is BPA-free.
8. Get a massage or do yoga regularly to increase blood circulation in your body.
9. Stock up on healthy snacks, such as fruits and vegetables and beneficial proteins.
10. Switch to cast iron. The Teflon in non-stick pans has been shown to cause cancer.
11. Start a garden to purify your air and have healthy options on-hand at all times.
12. Use organic fertilizers and lawn care items, eliminating harmful pesticides.
13. Watch your water. Install filters to avoid drinking pollutants.
14. Exfoliate your skin with a loofah, brush or scrub to help rid your body of built-up toxins.
15. Pause for your pets and assess what’s in their food and insect control applications.
16. Use no- or low-VOC paints for any house projects.
17. Open windows and let natural air circulate to carry away indoor pollutants. Install an air filter if necessary to minimize allergens.
18. Ditch the dry cleaner and ask around about green clothing maintenance options.
19. Farewell to fragrances, which are usually comprised of hundreds of chemicals. Try essential oils instead.
20. Reset your routine. If you’re falling asleep in front of the TV every night, consider rescheduling your time to focus on more positive endeavors.
21. Power down. Wi-Fi transmitters and wireless devices are associated with diminished sperm count, so avoid sleeping near them.
22. Clean out air ducts periodically to avoid unhealthy build-up that can circulate throughout your home.
23. Replace toxic old products such as coated hardwoods and stain-resistant carpets, which are largely chemical-based.
24. Clear out your medicine cabinet and replace expired and unhealthy products with more natural solutions.
25. Deep clean to eliminate built-up toxins. When it’s time to clean our carpets, hard flooring and upholstery we use a service here in SoCall called Zerorez that actually strips away previous chemicals and residue instead of layering more on. Zerorez uses electrolyzed, oxidized water to power away all the gross stuff and leave zero residue.
How did you get started with your own home detox?