I love sausage…it’s the best. I mean, where or how else can you get so much flavor packed into such a small eating device?
From an early age I learned that sausage improves just about any meal. Macaroni and cheese…and hot dogs. I also learned they can be the cornerstone to a great meal, especially when the sausage becomes a bit more advanced. We’ve been working with Farmer John® Smoked Sausages, and they’re like meat flavor missiles.
Looking back on what I learned in early childhood, I wanted to improve on one of the greats. A clash of the dining titans, if you will. Two of the manliest foods I make. Quesadillas and Farmer John® Hot Louisiana Brand Smoked Sausage.
And to add to the Louisiananess of it all, let’s make it a JUMBOLIA quesadilla!
- 3 cups small shrimp, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ chopped onion
- ½ chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 4 Tbsp oil, separated
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups okra
- 5 Farmer John® Hot Louisiana Brand Smoked Sausages, sliced
- 4 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 large flour tortillas
- In a small skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry okra 20 minutes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss shrimp with pepper, salt, paprika, onion powder and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat garlic in 2 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, worcestershire sauce and Tabasco and cook 3 min.
- Add sausage and cook 7 min. Add shrimp and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until no longer translucent.
- Heat cheese in a tortilla over a skillet. Use a slotted spoon to layer meat and tomatoes on top of tortilla.
- Fold, flip, cut and serve.
I have to say, the okra actually did give it a distinct pop. And that Farmer John® Hot Louisiana Brand Smoked Sausage sure was juicy.
Find more ways to make your meal more manly with sausage here. You can also connect with Farmer John® on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, and share your sausage concoctions across social media with the hashtag #CookWithSausage.