Living in San Diego, sun care is a big concern. Whether we're splashing in the pool, running along the beach, or even adventuring in the mountains…the heat is intense.
We have trees around our property to give the kids a shady spot, but we're in a drought and foliage is sparse this summer. So I'm keeping us safe by taking steps to make sure we're covered from the sun's balmy rays, and teaching the kids some sun care tips!
7 Ways to Focus on Sun Care
We're working with UnitedHealthcare, and they have a whole initiative going focused on health. It's called “We Dare You to Share,” and it gets people engaged in learning about healthy living through active discussions, facts and sharing. Every step you take to further your health through their website gives you a chance to enter and win various prizes. This month's topic is sun care, and they have some awesome giveaways going on. With our prompts below, you can get your kids in on the conversation AND enter to win a gift card here on our site as well!
1. Talk about sun damage. Make it relatable by sharing stories of times when you haven't made sun care a priority, and the damage that it has caused to your skin. Watch a video to really drive the message home. There are tons on YouTube, and United Healthcare has a video that you can watch and then enter your opinion for a chance to win a $400 prepaid gift card.
2. Make it a game. Place one ice cube in the bright, open outdoors and one in the shade. Time how long it takes each one to melt. This will help give kids an idea of the power of the sun!
3. Construct a shady area together by planting a tree or putting up a large umbrella. Getting hands-on will make a big impact and help them remember what they've learned.
4. Craft a covering. Decorate a wide-brimmed hat or oversized t-shirt to help cover up.
5. Test their knowledge with fun Q & A. Leave a bright colored piece of construction paper out in the sun with objects scattered on it. After several hours, the paper will be faded everywhere except where the objects offered shade. Chat with your kids about why this happened, and what this means for their skin. Older children can take the skin health quiz on the UnitedHealthcare page and enter to win a massage gift card! Moms, I totally won't tell if you nab that one for yourself.
6. Incorporate sun screen into the routine. Whether it's before you head out to the beach or the moment you unpack your picnic at the park, make sure that sun screen is a regular part of your outdoor day.
7. Create a sun safety scrapbook showing all the ways you stayed protected during a day in the sun. While you're at it, submit your photos to UnitedHealthcare's share page for the chance to win a sun protection canopy.
With lots of repetition through these easy tips, your kids will become experts on the topic of sun care! Before you know it, they'll be schooling the rest of the neighborhood and making sure their friends cover up, too.