This was one of those concoctions borne of me not knowing what to make for dinner. “What do I have in the fridge?” I contemplated. Grilled chicken breasts, a can of jalapeños, a Pillsbury Pizza Crust. “Yeah, I can work with that.” And because I was too lazy to turn on the oven, I decided to stick it all on the grill and make grilled Mexican pizza.
- Pillsbury Thin Pizza Crust
- 1/2 small can Salsa Ranchera
- 1/2 small can diced jalapeños
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup grated Mexican cheese blend
- 2 grilled chicken breasts diced
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Mix Salsa Ranchera, diced jalapeños and tomato sauce
- Oil grill with olive oil and transfer pizza crust onto grill by inverting it on a piece of foil. Grill for 2-3 minutes, until it begins to crisp.
- Using a large spatula, turn pizza crust over onto the colder part of the grill and turn heat down to medium-low.
- Spread sauce onto pizza crust. Add cheese and chicken breasts. Close grill and let cook for about 5 minutes, until all ingredients are hot.
- Move the pizza back over direct heat for about 1 minute or until crisp. Remove onto foil and serve.
I get Salsa Ranchera at our local Smart & Final store. That and the jalapeños are key to adding a lot of flavor to this dish without a ton of ingredients.
I keep pre-made Pillsbury Pizza Crusts around for a quick and easy dinner when we have unexpected guests. Foil is the key to getting the pizza crust onto the grill. Just lay it out on the foil in your kitchen and then invert it quickly over the heated grill.
It's okay if it ends up looking a little…err…floppy. It tastes the same in the end!
I make my pizza sauce a little runny because I find it reheats better that way, and the liquid kind of soaks up into the chicken for a melt-in-your-mouth taste. If thin sauce isn't your thing, swap the tomato sauce out with tomato paste instead.
After everything has had a chance to heat with the grill closed, move the pizza back over direct heat for a final crisping. This will make it much easier to remove from the grill. To get it off of there, I place a piece of foil directly onto the grill next to it and scoop it over quickly with a large spatula.
Top with avocado, and any other fresh ingredients you choose to use like sour cream. Grilled pizza is so easy and perfect for the summer season when you don't want to heat up the house!