Nate and I haven't been in a vacation in over a year. After the wedding we went on the honeymoon and then – bam! – I was pregnant with Some Boy and traveling become a bit too cumbersome. Now that the baby's here and we've finally settled into a routine, Nate and I are starting to get a little bit of wanderlust. We're considering a few places for our first family vacation, from Seattle to Colorado, Florida, DC and Virginia. Virginia Beach would be an awesome place to visit as it's one of the few locations in the states that neither of us have been to, and it has a ton of family-friendly (and stroller-friendly!) attractions.
Top Ten Things to do with a Baby in Virginia Beach
1. Build a sand castle at the resort. Pack plenty of SPF 50 for the baby and bring an umbrella stroller to enjoy the beach and get a tan. Draw baby's name in the sand for the very first time and bring some floaties so he or she can check out the water.
2. Pack a picnic and check out the great outdoors at First Landing State Park. Pack a baby carrier to enjoy a stroll along the trails.
3. Check out King Neptune at the boardwalk. Snap some photos of the baby with the mythical seaman to stick in the scrapbook!
4. Get a taste of Virginia at a local market. Try freshly-caught seafood and produce from local farmers.
5. Hear some tunes at a symphony by the shore.
6. Drop the little one with the hotel daycare to get some time alone with your spouse. Rent a bicycle for some fun, bonding recreation time and a little aerobic activity to start burning off those baby pounds.
7. Grab a pole and head to the water to catch your dinner! Fish off the pier or charter a boat to see what's offshore.
8. Get some culture at one of the many museums and monuments around town. Check out some local heritage with a walking tour or see what our forefathers discovered in their early days at Cape Henry.
9. Grab some knick-knacks for the extended family at Lynnhaven Mall.
10. Check out the Children's Museum to peak baby's curiosity.
Any suggestions for traveling with a baby? Any must-see Virginia Beach locations that I missed?
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Virginia Beach Tourism blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.