They say that toddler snacks account for 25% of the average kid's calorie intake.
Based on our kids, though, I'd honestly say it's closer to 50%. There's just so much movement. So much on-the-go.
So. Much. Activity. Toddler snacks play a HUGE role in our lives. After years of experience with three kids back-to-back, we've implemented some rules of thumb to keep everyone well-fed and make snack time a breeze.
Toddler Snack Rules that will Save Your Sanity
1. No running and eating. Just don't. Seriously.
2. Call it whatever they want to hear. I used to try to use proper names, “These are Mighty Sticks and Mighty 4 Pouch Blends, bud.” He'd shake his head and point eagerly, “Cookies and pudding! Cookies and pudding!” This is a battle not worth fighting. As long as they eat, call it a win.
3. Options matter. Since the kid is invariably asserting his control over the whole toddler snack situation, things will go more smoothly if you give them options. I like to bring along some fruit, some prepackaged bars and some pouches so they can choose from liquid, crunchy or sweet to satisfy whatever craving they may have.
4. Toddler snacks must be inherently portable. Anything that requires a spoon to eat is pretty much out. That stuff is reserved for mealtime. For snack time, grab items that can easily be toted along between their activities
5. Nutrition counts. There is a lot of junk on the market today, so make snack time choices count! We like to feed the big boys Plum Organics Mighty products because they're easy to find, they're perfectly sized for little hands and they get essential nutrients in their diet.
6. Always, always, always have toddler snacks on-hand. I keep a bunch in my car to help ease the transition away from the park, beach or friends' house when it's time to pack up. Toddler snacks are like the oil that keep our family engine going. When we run out, there will inevitably be a breakdown.
7. Add water. Hydration matters, too. Encourage your child to drink some water every time they have a toddler snack.
What are your family's go-to toddler snacks?
Hungry? Get up to $5 off Tot snacks here. Plum Organics offers unique, culinary-inspired products and takes a modern approach to family nutrition! Plum offers a complete line of premium, nutritious organic baby food, toddler and kid snack & mealtime products! Learn more at plumorganics.com. Leave a comment below for your chance to win a $100 gift card and some Plum Organics goodies.
Find official sweepstakes rules and regulations here. This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Plum Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.