Nate and I are planning a 2018 trip to Africa, which I believe is how I first got sucked into the story of an orphaned baby elephant in Botswana. “Research!” I explained as I pulled up the Naledi documentary on Netflix. “We should know about the wildlife where we're going.” Thus began our sudden interest in elephants and our education about the plight of elephants in general.
We started talking about elephant conservation with the kids and what we can do to make a difference, and they thought we could do some fun elephant crafts to keep the animal top-of-mind.
Here are some Crafty Elephant Ideas!
Get the dialogue going with kids of all ages using any of these elephant craft ideas.
- Elmer and the Rainbow printable
- Coffee filter elephant craft
- Newspaper elephants
- Simple elephant drawing
- Elephant upcycled fork necklaces. I actually bought this on Wirestorm, but the concept's simple and there are tons of silverware jewelry tutorials on Pinterest.
- Elephant trunk balloon cards
- Paper plate elephants
- Toilet paper roll elephants
- Party noisemaker
- Cereal box elephant
- K-cup elephant
- Go old-school with some simple pens and an adult coloring sheet (simply click here to pull up a printable that we made just for you).
- Melted crayon trunk art
- Uppercase E letter
- Sock puppet
- Towel elephants
- Easy shapes elephant craft
- Pom pom elephants
- Styrofoam cup elephant
- Elephant handprints. I made these myself and it's fairly self-explanatory: paint + paper + pen to add ears and eyes and other features. The boys can never get enough of handprint crafts!
- If paint isn't your thing, try this hand-trace elephant
- Felt elephant
- Paper bag elephants
- Cupcake liner elephant
- Slime jar elephant
- Milk bottle elephant
Feeling inspired? You can also find some great educational resources/lesson plans online and fun facts about elephants here.
What's your favorite thing about elephants?