Looking for some wholesome, delicious, hearty sweet potato carrot soup to warm up with this winter? You got it!
You all know that sweet potato recipes are kind of my jam. I love to use this starchy vegetable for Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks, Sweet Potato Skins, Sweet Potato Tots and Instant Pot Sweet Potato Recipes. It only made sense that we'd plop some in a soup one day!
If I could only pick one soup to live off of for the entire season, this would be it. It's comforting, homey, and totally hits the spot when you want something to fuel your day or wind down fireside. Now that we're living in Idaho – the land of potatoes – I've been seriously considering planting sweet potatoes and living off of the fruits of our own labor every season. Maybe we could get a root cellar going. What do you ya think?
For the time being, our sweet potato carrot soup is coming entirely from store bought stuff. Just so we're clear. I bought organic sweet potatoes because they looked really good at the grocery store (sometimes the organic ones are SO tiny I can hardly figure out how to make fries or anything out of them). They were also exactly the same price as the non-organic ones. That's unusual. In any case, we keep an eye on costs and quality but we do prefer to get organic produce whenever possible.
Sweet Potato Carrot Soup is LIFE
This soup will keep you going all day long, because sweet potatoes are so good for you!
- Lower in calories and carbs than regular potatoes
- Vitamin A antioxidant boosts immunity and helps maintain healthy skin and vision
- Chock full of vitamin C
- Full of B6 for brain and nervous system health
- Fiber helps you maintain weight
- Starchy vegetables provide energy for workouts and sustained mental work
Initially it kind of looks like it won't be enough liquid, but TRUST THE PROCESS. It's barely enough to reach the top of the sweet potatoes and carrots – and that's all you need. When you immersion blend it, it results in a nice, thick consistency that you can thin down with the cream and amp up with the spices as much as you desire.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, sweet potatoes, carrots and simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat until tender.
- Add cream, cayenne and salt and pepper, stir and immersion blend until smooth.
- Adjust cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
Want to spice this recipe up a bit? Try Oma's similar Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup (we actually came up with these recipes and tested them together!). I've joined together with some of my favorite blogging pals to share ALL of the best soups on the web. There are a couple more soups in here that use sweet potatoes, but if that's not your jam there are a ton with all sorts of different recipes. Click on through!
- Neckbone Stew – Houseful of Nicholes
- Sweet Potato + Black Eyed Peas Stew – This Worthey Life
- Easy Creamy Tomato Soup – Big Crazy Life
- Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Stew – Ashley & Company
- Corn Chowder Soup – Day By Day In Our World
- Super Simple Cauliflower Soup – Good Girl Gone Redneck
- 20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – Life of A Ginger
- Creamy Bechnut Squash Soup – 100 Directions
- Pasta e Fagioli – More Than Thursdays
- Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Mama Harris' Kitchen
- Super Easy Egg Drop Soup – Eat Picks
- Jonah's Float A Seafood Soup – food:life:love
- Instant Pot Chili – SimplifyLiveLove
- Easy Gumbo Recipe – Divas With A Purpose
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup – My Crafty Life
- Haitian Soup Joumou – Squash Soup
Would you ever make sweet potato carrot soup?