This has been our go-to look lately. The busy season at work is kicking our butts, and nonstop travel has taken its toll on our bodies. It's starting to be apparent that we haven't taken the necessary time to stop and recharge. We mostly enjoy outdoor and adventure travel as a family, so the boys don't get the full brunt of it. For Nate and I traveling to conferences, though, recirculated air in planes and hotels has seriously dried out our skin and zapped our energy.
Even when we are in a more open environment, our bodies don't get the time they need to acclimate. Going from dry desert to snowy mountains to beachside surf is really fun, but our largest organ rebels in a visible way. Here's how we tame it with a tender touch when life has us on the road . . or on a boat, or in the sky.
Our Travel Skincare Routine
1. Sunscreen. The intensity of the sun's rays can vary dramatically depending on where you travel. Don't rely on your regular moisturizer to do the trick. Pack extra sunscreen and be ready to slather it on.
2. Water is your friend. Hydrate! I bring a refillable bottle for each person and make sure to keep it full throughout our trip. And when I get into a hotel room, I hop right into the bathroom and take a steamy shower to give my skin a chance to soak up water from the moist air. Our bodies are 65% water, so that is step one for taking care of it.
3. Be zen. Stress does more damage to your body than just about anything else. Schedule in some time to relax and unwind. Perhaps a morning yoga session?
4. Eat a balanced diet. Everybody tends to slack off on this when they travel. Go the extra mile by packing healthy fats in the form of nuts, which can halt inflammation and blotchiness in its tracks. Also, make sure you fit in enough fruits and vegetables with room service or squeeze pouches. Those are always a hit with the kids – and it can save money compared to dining out.
5. Exfoliate. Shed dead skin (and any gross germs that may be clinging on from the journey) with a gentle skin exfoliation. We've been working with Clarisonic and I've used the Clarisonic Smart Profile to buff my face and body for quite awhile. It has multiple speeds and two heads that are perfectly tuned to various skin needs in different areas, cleansing six to eleven times better than hands alone and reaching the whole body in a 60-second program. Now, I've recruited Nate into the supple skin club with the Clarisonic Alpha Fit. It's shorter bristles are ideally-suited to men's more resilient skin, helping dudes get cleaner pores and a closer shave.
6. Hit the gym. The boost of oxygen that your body gets from a workout – even a quick one – will help get the blood flowing throughout your skin to address any problem areas.
7. Take along some tea. Instead of downing sugary soda or dehydrating coffee, opt for herbal tea. It contains compounds that help battle cancer and maintain collagen elasticity.
Get incredible skin for yourself, even if you have a busy routine! You can save 20% off any device at Clarisonic with promo code SOMEDAY20. Coupon expires 11/15/15 and is valid for only the first 100 purchases.
What's your travel skincare routine?