Mmmm…easy, cheesy tater tot casserole. This is all the best comfort foods whipped up in one cast iron skillet for a meal that goes effortlessly from stovetop to oven to plate in less than 45 minutes. This is a spin-off of an old favorite that one of my friend's moms used to make. I came up with this version while looking to use up some random components I had in the pantry and refrigerator: half a tub of sour cream, canned green beans, condensed soup, tots and beef.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 small onions chiopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire
- 1 14.5- oz drained can green beans
- 1 10. z-oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 32- oz package Ore-Ida frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Flavor the beef and onions with garlic salt and brown in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until browned, approximately 10 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Add worcestershire, green beans, condensed soup, milk and sour cream. Mix carefully in skillet.
- Top with frozen tater tots and cheese.
- Bake in skillet for 25 minutes. Serve.
Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole
Brown the beef and onions, flavored with garlic salt, and drain off any excess liquid.
Carefully stir in the worcestershire, green beans, condensed soup, milk and sour cream. If you don't have milk and sour cream you can just use two cans of condensed soup. And if you prefer condensed mushroom soup over the condensed chicken soup that I used, go for it! This cheesy tater tot casserole is all about versatility.
Top with a single layer of tater tots. It must be a single layer, otherwise they won't cook all the way through.
Add a generous layer of cheese. We used a mexican cheddar mix that was leftover from burritos (that's why we had the extra sour cream around, as well).
Plop it in the oven in the cast iron skillet at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, until the tots are lightly browned and the cheese is all gooey.
Serve immediately. This one's a huge hit with kids (you can substitute the green beans for corn or sautéed bell peppers if they prefer that), and some may even like to dip their cheesy tater tot casserole in ketchup.