Whoever came up with the whole “chocolate-covered bacon” thing must be some sort of culinary genius. Odds are he or she is a stoner culinary genius. Let's just be honest here. Some dude was probably baked out of his mind and thought, “Chocolate…good. Bacon…good. Chocolate-covered bacon…goooooood!”
Since Valentine's Day is coming up and it's traditionally a time to celebrate things we love, I decided to come up with a special treat to celebrate my love of chocolate-covered bacon. I had a hard time keeping Nate away from these while I was taking pictures for the blog, and the entire plateful was gone within about a minute. Next time I'll definitely try to make extras so I can have a bite or two without risking losing a finger.
They say, afterall, that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Surprise your sweetie with a box full of these babies on this romantic holiday, and you'll have a loyal partner for life!
Chocolate-Covered Bacon Hearts
- 8 strips of bacon cut in half
- 1/3- cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Shape bacon into hearts by overlapping the middle and end of each pair of bacon pieces.
- Bake bacon approximately 20 minutes until crispy.
- Set bacon on a paper towel to cool.
- Heat chocolate chips in a Ziploc bag on high at 15-second intervals, massaging between heating sessions, until melted.
- Snip off the end of the Ziploc bag and pipe chocolate onto bacon hearts.
- Let chocolate dry several minutes before serving.
I just love the way these look all laid out ready to be baked. I never thought I'd think of bacon as “sweet” or “cute.”
I form hearts with the bacon by cutting each slice in half down the middle and overlapping the ends of two pieces. It's kind of one of those things you work out as you go along.
Baking at 375 for about 20 minutes results in pieces that are crispy, but still a nice reddish color.
I melt chocolate chips (dark chocolate is my favorite for chocolate-covered bacon) in a Ziploc bag in the microwave. I feel comfortable heating food in Ziploc bags because I know they're BPA-free.
There you have it! Chocolate-covered bacon is so simple, and such a nice treat.
If you prefer, you could skip the chocolate and make these bacon hearts as part of a cute Valentine's Day breakfast. Kids would love it!