Ready to take that long overdue break and breathe before moving on to a new year? Here are 17 life balance tips you should totally pick up!
It's not just the beginning of a new year, it's the beginning of a new decade. If you're busy parents like Nate and I, you cant just begin this new decade without taking a break to breathe. Review some necessary changes – even very little ones – that when applied can improve the quality of your life in a big way.
After living in San Diego, California for many years and finally moving to Boise, Idaho, we are settling in and renovating our studio here. Nate and I have been getting more time to just slow down and enjoy it, which is totally awesome! Instead of being on the move all the time and trying to catch up, we can just wake and follow no specific schedule.
I had no idea that a life pace like this was possible. It takes some getting used to, but if you're the type of person who likes to lean into your own energy and let your whims guide you, you would love it! That said, it definitely takes some discipline and honesty about expectations.
Cultivating life balance tips or strategies as a parent is mostly overlooked, easier said than done but super important. A balanced life helps you give more to your children, be more productive at work and feel better as a human being.
Here are my best life balance tips every parent must know as we step into this new decade!
- Figure out what works for you: This is one of my favorite life balance tips because there is just no clear manual to this thing called life. Just like parenting, I think it's safe to say that we are all just winging it! Hah!
Figure out what works for you and your family and the best way to strike a balance between that. Then, add some great strategies to top it off and achieve the best results.
- Manage your time on social media: You know how you get on Facebook or Instagram to quickly check messages and what's going on with friends, but you lose track of time and end up spending hours on social media? Sometimes if you are in bed, you could even doze off to social media?
That's not healthy. Discontinue that, and be intentional about it. Facebook recently rolled out a new feature that allows every user to track how much time they are spending on social media. Try using that to set how much time you'd like to spend each day on Facebook. When you have maxed that out, you will get a notification to alert you of this. Awesome, right!?
- Take care of your finances: A new year is always a great time to take a look at your finances, find out if there is something taking too much money and adjust it. If you own a business make sure you are investing properly and setting aside the amount of money you should be.
- Take care of your physical health: Take a walk, get active! If you work primarily from home like Nate and I this may not always happen all the time. Be deliberate. Exercise and drink lots of water, take care of your body – you don't get another one!
- Pay attention to your mental health: It's always easier to take care of our physical health and forget about our mental health. Your tummy could be hurting and you would tend to it, but we seldom attend to our mental health. Commit to taking care of yourself with yoga, regular therapy appointments, or joining a group – many churches and insurance companies offer groups for people struggling with everything from grief to parenting challenges and marriage woes.
- Intentionally build a social life: Go out and socialize with other parents! As a parent, there is something always happening in our lives. That said, it's important to engage with other people and intentionally build a social life to help keep your priorities straight and always have a network that you can fall back on for help.
Plan family vacations: Go on vacations with your family. It doesn't have to be an expensive vacation! You could totally save by giving up certain things you wouldn't miss too much to make this happen (expensive coffee runs, anyone?). Spending quality time with your family helps you refocus on who and what matters the most.
More Life Balance Tips
Practice a “No Device Day:” Set one day aside each week tp turn off all devices in your home. You'd be surprised to find out how much can truly happen in 24 hours! This is a really great life balance tip.
- Set clear written goals and track your progress: A goal isn't a goal until it's written down visibly and placed strategically where you can see it daily.
That's why I made you a printable of these tips so that you can place it strategically somewhere in your home where you can see it daily.
Make sure to set your goals, but don't just stop there! Track them to follow progress, success and failure.
Download your printable here.
- Embrace flexibility: Be open to doing things outside your already written schedule. Enjoy life! You only get one shot at it.
- Time out: What would happen if we gave ourselves time out as often as we give them to our kids when things become too emotional and overwhelming?
- Be present: When spending time at home with your family be present. Don't just be bodily present, but make sure you're MENTALLY present as well.
- Avoid multitasking: You can never give your best to anything when you multitask! If you intend to have a more productive year, please avoid multitasking. Take things one at a time.
- Be generous to yourself: Especially with sleep! Please get enough sleep and rest, because your body needs it. Be kind to yourself. Give yourself the love you are so quick to give others.
- De-clutter and organize: A great way to do this is to make sure you don't keep things you don't need. You can always give stuff to families who need them or sell things. We always start our year with de-cluttering and organizing.
- Limit family screen time: Try cutting down on screen time and replace that time with a great family game, book or outdoor activity.
- Meditating every week: Have you ever tried this? Meditating is a highly relaxing activity, it reduces stress, increases calmness, clarity and promotes happiness. As a busy parent these are great things that lend to a properly balanced life.
What is the best life balance tip or strategy that has worked well for you in the past?
Are you ready to finally learn more on how to handle your family finance better? START HERE!!
Don't forget to share and pin this post if you loved reading it!